By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
Westwood High School and Xaverian Brothers varsity winter athletics were back in action this week after several of the Wolverines and Hawks teams paused for a week due to COVID protocols.
- Westwood girls hockey returned to action on February 6 following a COVID pause week with a resounding 7-1 victory against Medway/Ashland. The win kept the Wolverines unbeaten and improves their record to 4-0-1 (3-0-1).
- Westwood boys basketball hockey remained unbeaten following a two-game home-and-home sweep of rival Hopkinton. The Wolverines (7-0) defeated the Hillers, 67-60, on February 3, followed by a 60-57 win at Hopkinton on February 5. Junior Kyle Murray led the way on February 5 with a team-high 17 points. Senior captain and point guard James McGowan also scored in double figures with 13 points. McGowan led the Wolverines in their February 3 win, scoring a game-high 16 points to go along with 14 from junior Michael Noone.
- Westwood's Joe Glynn (26.10) finished tied for second overall at the Mass Bay Ski League East meet at Blue Hills on February 6. Haley Kutzer (26.54) placed second amongst girls and eighth overall. Xaverian's Connor Hagwood (28.15) placed No. 17 overall. Westwood's Gabby Casey (28.24) placed eighth amongst girls and No. 21 overall. Xaverian's Tanner Smith (28.98) placed No. 27 overall.
- Westwood girls basketball played four games in four days against Norwood and Hopkinton from February 3-6 in order to make up lost time. The Wolverines (2-6) went 2-2 in the four-game set, falling at Norwood 43-23 followed by a 44-35 win at Hopkinton. Westwood swept the home-and-home with Hopkinton the following night with a 46-35 win. The Wolverines dropped the finale of the four-game slate, 42-36 at home against Norwood.
- Westwood boy hockey played three games in four nights, defeating Hopkinton, 3-2, on February 3, followed by a 2-1 defeat at Norwood the following night. The Wolverines finished off the three-game slate with a tough 3-2 defeat at Hopkinton on February 6. The Wolverines record is now 3-4-0 (2-4-0).
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.