By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
After persevering through some extremely challenging times the last two months, winter athletics came to a close for Westwood High School and Xaverian Brothers High School varsity teams this past week. Within the process of wrapping up the seasons, both the Hawks and Wolverines made some milestone achievements.
- Westwood boys varsity basketball earned a 48-41 victory against arch rival Holliston on February 12 to clinch the outright TVL title. The Westwood boys end the 2020-2021 season with a record of 10-1 (7-1). Following a 68-58 defeat at Norwood on January 29, the Wolverines finished the season with five consecutive wins against Hopkinton (three times), Dedham and Holliston.
- Xaverian varsity hockey fell, 2-1, to rival Catholic Memorial on Sunday afternoon at Canton Ice House. However, St. John's Prep beating St. John's Shrewsbury 1-0 in their season finale on Saturday secured the Hawks (5-3-2) their first outright Catholic Conference title since 1968.
- Westwood High varsity boys hockey secured a 3-3 tie with Medway on Saturday afternoon at Pirelli Arena in Franklin to wrap up their season. The Wolverines finish the year with a record of 3-5-1 (2-5-1).
- Westwood girls varsity hockey wrapped up their season with a 1-1 tie with rival Dover-Sherborn on Saturday. The Wolverines finished the season unbeaten with a final record of 6-0-2 (5-0-2). Senior captain and forward Hannah Blomquist also earned her 100th career point in Westwood's 4-1 win against rival Medfield/Norton on February 11.
- Westwood girls varsity basketball defeated arch rival Holliston 48-25 on Sunday to finish their season on a winning note. The Wolverines end the year with a final record of 4-6.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.