By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
Westwood High School and Xaverian Brothers High School winter varsity athletics were back in action this week as the Wolverines took on TVL rivals Hopkinton, Norwood and Medfield, while the Hawks took on rivals BC High and St. John's Prep.
- Varsity basketball completed a home-and-home sweep of Hopkinton with a 72-62 victory against Hopkinton on January 12. Senior captain and Bowdoin committed guard James McGowan led the way with a game-high 31 points. The win improved the Wolverines record to 3-0.
- Varsity girls basketball fell to 0-3 with a 32-35 defeat to Hopkinton on January 12.
- The varsity girls hockey team improved to 2-0-0 with an 8-5 victory against Norwood on January 13.
- Boys varsity hockey lost for the first time this season, falling 5-1 to Hopkinton on January 13. The Wolverines sit at 2-1-0.
- Boys swim earned an 89-74 victory against rival Medfield on January 14.
- Xaverian varsity hockey dropped its season opener to BC High on January 13, falling 5-2 at Canton Ice House. Max Lockwood scored both goals for the Hawks. Xaverian rebounded with a 1-1 tie against St. John's Prep on January 16.
- Xaverian varsity basketball fell at BC High on January 12 by a final of 88-65, followed by a defeat in the home opener against St. John's Prep, 65-46 on January 15.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.