By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
The 2020-2021 winter athletic season finally got underway for Needham High School this past week. The Rockets played a series of home-and-home contests on the ice and on the hardwood against Weymouth.
• Varsity girls basketball earned a 40-28 victory at home against Weymouth on January 5 to begin its season. Senior captain Madison Shaker led the way for the Rockets with a game-high 15 points on five 3-pointers.
• Varsity boys basketball had its season-opening contest at Weymouth on January 5 postponed to a later date.
• Varsity girls hockey earned a 5-2 win at Weymouth to begin its season on January 6. Maddie Ledbury led the Rockets with a pair of goals. Grace Kelley recorded a goal and recorded an assist. Sofia Berejik scored a goal and added an assist, while Maddy Foster potted home her first goal of the year and supplied two assists.
• Varsity boys hockey dropped its season-opening contest to Weymouth on January 6 at Babson by a 4-1 final. Chris Kajunski scored the lone goal for Needham. Oliver Lamadieu recorded 20 saves in net.
• The varsity and JV girls basketball games at Weymouth scheduled for January 8 were postponed to a later date. The varsity boys and girls hockey games against Weymouth scheduled for January 9 were also postponed to a later date.
• Needham swim and dive held an intersquad scrimmage on January 9 with the seniors and juniors defeating the sophomores and freshmen, 99-87.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.