By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
Needham High School Fall I athletes continued to power through these unprecedented times this past week as the Rockets took on Bay State Conference rival Brookline. Among the week's news and notes:
- Needham boys soccer split a home-and-home, defeating Brookline at home on October 6 behind a pair of goals by Dan Faynstein. Brookline won the rematch on Thursday by a 3-0 final, pushing Needham’s record to 1-1.
- Needham girls varsity soccer earned a 1-0 victory against Brookline to open their season on October 6. The Rockets suffered a tough 1-0 defeat in the final minute of the rematch on Wednesday to push their record to 1-1.
- Kyler McNatt broke the Needham High School cross-country record on the Cutler Park course, finishing in 15:55. Varsity boys cross-country dropped its match to Brookline, 26-31.
- Varsity field hockey earned a dominant 6-0 victory on Friday against Brookline to move to 2-0. Kenzie Kelley led the way with two goals and an assist.
- Varsity golf won its second match in a row, 74-94, against Brookline on October 6.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.