Junior defenseman Caden Popiel (pictured) moves the puck through the neutral zone on a rush up the ice. Photo by Mike Flanagan.
By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
Varsity winter athletics continued on in Dover-Sherborn this past week as the Raiders were in action against rivals Millis, Medfield and Westwood.
- Boys basketball picked up a pair of victories against Millis, defeating the Mohawks at home on January 19 by a 71-38 final and at Millis on January 22 by a final of 65-43. Five Raiders scored in double figures in January 19's win: sophomore Luke Rinaldi (13 points), Ben Teich (11), Tim Dillon (10), senior captain Evan Skeary (10) and Ben Chittick (10). Luke Rinaldi again led the way in January 22's win with a game-high 17 points. Senior captains Nick Rinaldi (11 points) and Evan Skeary (10) also scored in double figures. The pair of wins improves Dover-Sherborn's record to 3-2.
- Boys hockey had its contest against Bellingham postponed due to COVID contact tracing within Bellingham. The Raiders picked up a non-league contest against Medfield in its place and fell, 7-0.
- Girls basketball dropped a pair of contests to Millis, 49-26 on the road on January 19 and 43-34 on January 22. The Raiders' record sits at 2-3. Hana Skeary (12 points) and Sabrina Ryan (11 points) each scored in double figures on January 22.
- Girls hockey had all three of their contests against Bellingham, Dedham and Medway/Ashland postponed due to contact tracing. Makeup dates are TBD.
- Girls swimming improved their record to 2-1 on the year with an 86-84 win against rival Westwood on January 23.
- Boys swimming stayed unbeaten and improved to 3-0 with a 109-61 victory against Westwood on January 23.
- DS/Medfield gymnastics picked up a 134.05-129.30 win against Medway/Ashland/Millis on January 23.
- Boys track improved to 2-1 on the year with a 51-34 victory against Westwood on January 21.
- Girls track earned their first win of the season to improve to 1-2 following a 48-33 victory against Westwood.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.