By Mike Flanagan
Hometown Weekly Sports Editor
Dover-Sherborn Regional High School varsity winter athletics was back in action this week as the Raiders faced rivals Medfield, Norton, Bellingham and Norwood.
- Boys varsity hockey went 2-0-1 this week in their three games against Norton and Bellingham (twice) to improve to 4-2-1 (4-1-1) on the season. On January 25, senior captain and defenseman Billy Rooney scored a pair of goals to help lead the Raiders to a 6-3 victory against Norton. Senior captain and forward George Herlihy, senior forward Tommy Higgins, junior captain and forward Connor Burke and sophomore forward Finn Maher also scored in the win. Senior captain Standish Carothers dished out three assists, with both Rooney and Herlihy also recording a pair of assists each. Senior defenseman Eli Kaplan also notched an assist. The next day, the Raiders traveled to Bellingham and skated to a resounding 8-2 victory. Rooney led the way by scoring a hat trick to go along with goals from Herlihy, Carothers, Thomas Sacco, Caden Popiel and Ian Chang. On January 27, the Raiders returned home to play their third game in three days. On tired and nearly dead legs, DS still managed to pull out a 2-2 tie against Bellingham. Rooney and Sacco supplied the scoring for DS. Standish Carothers assisted on both goals.
- Varsity girls hockey dropped a pair of 2-0 contests to Bishop Stang and Norwood on January 25 and January 27, but rebounded with a 2-2 tie at Norwood on January 30. Freshman forward Avery Bent and senior defenseman Annika Yanoshak supplied the goals for the Raiders. The tie improved DS/Hopkinton's record to 1-3-1 (1-2-1).
- Boys varsity basketball earned a sweep of Bellingham, defeating the Blackhawks, 65-33, on January 26 before winning 70-40 on the road on January 29. Senior forward Tim Dillon scored a game-high 14 points in the win on January 26. Also scoring in double figures for the Raiders were sophomore guard Luke Rinaldi (11 points), senior captain and guard Nick Rinaldi (10) and sophomore guard Danny Sullivan (10). On January 29, Nick Rinaldi led the way with a game-high 14 points to go along with 10 points from senior captain and guard Evan Skeary. The pair of wins improved Dover-Sherborn's record to 5-2.
- Girls varsity basketball swept Bellingham to improve to 4-3 on the season, winning 58-23 on the road on January 26 and 54-18 at home on January 29. Sophomore guard Hana Skeary led the way in the win on January 26 with a game-high 10 points. Freshman guard Erica Hills scored nine points with junior forward Reese O'Connell scoring eight. On January 29, senior captain and forward Sabrina Ryan led the Raiders with a game-high 11 points to go along with seven from Skeary.
- Boys indoor track improved to 3-1 on the season with a 57-20 win against Millis on January 28.
- Girls indoor track improved to 2-2 on the season with a 56-20 win against Millis on January 28.
- Ava Yablonsky won the 100-butterfly and the 100 backstroke in Dover-Sherborn girls swimming's virtual meet against Norton on January 31.
For funny and incisive sports analysis as well as video highlights of games, follow Mike Flanagan on his personal Twitter and Instagram handles @flano0.